Saturday, April 30, 2011

1/2 mile marathon!

Hank and I ran our first race! It was called The American River Parkway Half Marathon. I was so nervous to run because we haven't been able to train for it as much as we had hoped for. My goal was to run the whole thing. I knew Hank could do it but I was worried I might pass out or something (I am a bit delicate). It went so well! I totally ran it! Of course by the end I was so slow that walkers were passing me, even though I was running (so embarrassing!) Hank stayed with me until mile ten and then he was basically skipping to stay near me, so we decided he should go on ahead and actually run. I have to say I am so inspired now because all along the way there were these inspirational signs helping the runners stay motivated. They said things like "you never know your limits until you exceed them" and "Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it". I was feeling great until mile ten and then I got pretty tired. Those inspirational signs were probably the thing that kept me going. I started relying on them fro support. I thought about how important it is to live everyday focused on your priorities, your values, your principles and goals. Those messages reminded me why I was paying to put my body through pain and exhaustion. I wanted to push my body and my mind so I could feel healthier and happier. I don't believe our purpose on this earth is to experience pleasure and satisfaction, but instead to progress and grow. We often find ourselves in uncomfortable or upsetting moments but we endure because of the greater goal. I know this is something I want to teach my children and I really want to have a home full of "inspirational signs" that remind us why we must go through the suffering of life, because in the end the reward is so worth it.

8 comments:

danniey said...

Love this post, Leah. You two are so awesome and are going to be an inspiration to your children. Thanks for inspiring me, too!

Unknown said...

Great job!!! I love all of the inspirational sayings! and great thought to have them in the home! You look so great! Great Picture!!!!!

eebs said...

Congrats Leah and Hank!! That's a true accomplishment.
You guys are all set to join my fam's Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving ;)

secwalker said...

Congratulations! You guys are a little too perfect, but you inspire me to be better :)

Michael Costa said...

Wow, awesome! You two are so inspiring!!!

Erica said...

congrats! it's all those signs and people along the way that make it oh so worth it to cross that finish line! way to go!

Will & Cheyenne said...

I am SO proud of you guys!!! I loved your line.......I'm a little delicate. So funny!

Kristyn said...

WAY TO GOOOO!!! I'm so excited for you guys. Reading this makes me want to run another one! :) (My first one was years ago, but I'm still so proud I did it! And now you guys will always have the braggin rights too! Ha ha!)