Sunday, April 4, 2010

London!

 Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week was our London trip. We did so much in a small amount of time and felt exhausted by the end. Sam did so well considering we walked everywhere and he couldn't get out of the carrier to crawl around and it was basicly pouring rain the whole time. It was an adventure to say the least! Here we are at Westminster Cathedral.


The first day we wondered around aimlessly trying to find bathrooms and a map. We ran into Buckingham Palace along the way. There was no changing of the guards that day...oh well. It's a pretty impressive building all on it's own.
We eventually got a map and did a LOT of walking. We went through Hyde park which was pretty beautiful and then found ourselves at Portbello road. The rest of the day was filled with walking, talking and looking. It was quite magical and wet.

The next day we took it slightly easier. We saw Parliament and Big Ben first and then,

Westminster Abbey (I am in that picture, see if you can spot me!) and then...

...the National Gallery! Poor Sam had to endure four hours of gallery looking because I wanted to see everything. Hank is really nice and took him out for the last leg of it. That took up the majority of the day and it was well worth it. I don't know why I wanted to see so much artwork, I am not even a art historian or anything; I just liked it.


The last day was jammed packed! We started early and went to the Tower of London and London Bridge. Fascinating history lesson here. Notice how I am in every picture...that's Hank's doing. Also Sam is starting to smile when the camera comes out. It's so cute.

St. Paul's Cathedral. That was pretty impressive and mind boggling. I don't know what else to say about that.


After the cathdral we went to Shakespeare's new globe and took a tour. This is our tour guide, Tony. Have you ever seen anyone more English? We had such a fun time on that tour, it was really interesting and right up our alley.

 Fortunately we had time after the Globe and popped into the Tate Modern and saw even more artwork. It was awesome and very different from the National Gallery. In the Tate we actucally had to be carefully not to see every exhibit in case there was something unbelievebale offensive. We also spotted Willem Dafoe in a taxi on our way out.

The last event of London was going to a pub called The Albert. I guess people from Parliament go there and whenever Parliament is in session they ring a bell. They are famous for their carvery which is very English. We had Roast Beef, Turkey and Pork...so yummy in our tummies. Look at how cute Sam is! He's in his own seat.We have done a lot since then but my own my I don't have the energy to blog about it all. Anyway, we are having fun!

5 comments:

nellie said...

They eat roast Beff in England? Beff had better never visit there. It sounds like you are having a good time. We await your return.

secwalker said...

Amazing Leah - I am truly impressed by how much you guys are seeing!

whitney said...

WOW, y'all saw a lot! I'm super-impressed you fit so much in! So glad
Sam was such a trooper for ya! Grumpy babies make everything not fun. You look fab in all the pics, by the way!

oh, and I had to laugh-your tour guide really does look so English. That was my very first thought when I saw that picture.

Michael Costa said...

Looks like an amazing trip, those picks with Sam are adorable!

Michael + Anna Costa Photographers said...

SO excited for your trip! Looks like your having an amazing time. My my Sam looks SO happy to be on vacation! :)